Wednesday, May 2, 2012

JavaScript print ignored by Chrome, Workaround?

I know it has been discussed here before, yet I found no practical solution/workaround for this, I'm hoping if someone has any idea how to resolve this problem!



Here's it is:



If you try to call window.print() method frequently within a single page(as if a user clicks on a print button) in google Chrome, the browser throws a warning message in the console, stating:




Ignoring too frequent calls to print()




And nothing happens! After several seconds, things go back to normal and print dialog appears the moment you call window.print() command again! To make matters worse, the good Chrome folks use exponential wait time for a page that calls print command, meaning the more user clicks on a button to print, the more he has to wait for the print dialog to appear!



This issue has been in chrome for quite some time (14 subsequent versions) and it is confirmed as being an Area-UI bug, I posted it again for google team yesterday hoping if someone from Chrome team can verify when this incredible annoying feature is going to be fixed!



However, what I'm looking for here is a workaround for this problem, is there anything I can do be able to get this working? My company is developing a highly transactional financial system with lots of reports that needs printing, and for just this one little glitch, the whole project is at risk of running in my favorite google Chrome browser!





1 comment:

  1. I wish there was a work around... haven't found one yet. Voted the issue up this morning.

    ReplyDelete